Monday, January 12, 2009

Post-Holiday Let Down

I look forward to a clean start in January, but I still can't help but feel like the house is just too bare. Especially this wall here:



Ever since I took down the Christmas decorations I haven't been able to find the right arrangement for the table or the shelves and their contents.



I thought I could get away with leaning my window (found at the flea market this summer) up against the wall- that sucker is heavy! BUT, now I think it needs to go up to give some height. What do you think?

What about the shelves? What do I need to do to make them look more interesting?

FYI, I lifted the idea for the "S" canvas from Susie's blog. She sells much prettier things in her Etsy shop.

5 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I know how you feel about the let-down. Some parts of my house are very bare-looking right now after the decorations came down. It's awesome how you improvised! :)
Carrie

Chris said...

I think everything looks fantastic! As for the shelves, try layering pics a little more on the lower shelf. For the ones that have more ceiling above them, do something a little "meatier" and taller. That might help. By the way, I'm in LOVE with Lola. She's precious!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! I now know who to call when I get overloaded. Yours came out beautiful. Did you put your on a canvas? I paint on wood but I bet the canvas is even better. Nice and smooth..sweet. Thank you for sharing your piece of art with me. It always makes me smile when I can inspire someone else. Be sweet~

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Hello!! I think that window is AWESOME and yes I would hang it. Get some screw in anchors and you'll be set. It is beautiful. That is also the PERFECT spot for a large, chunky mirror. Since you already have the window, stick with that. For the shelves, maybe add more pictures and "stack" them -- I guess layer is a better way to say it. Put one in front of the other...I have a bunch of shelves I have done this on (I haven't blogged about them but can send you pics if you want!) You can put four or five pics on each ledge this way -- but vary the sizes so it adds some more dimension. I love how it's turning out!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Yes, what Chris said. :)